What is Jeff Bezos’ net worth?
|Net Worth||$134.6 Billion|
|Source of Wealth||Amazon, Real Estate, Blue Origins|
|Date of Birth||January 12, 1964|
|Height||5’7 / 171 cm|
|Place of Birth||Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.|
|Marital Status||MacKenzie Scott (div. 2019) |
- Jeff Bezos’ Introduction
- Early Life of Jeff Bezos
- Jeff Bezos’ Career
- Highlights of Jeff Bezos’ Career
- Personal Life of Jeff Bezos
- Jeff Bezos’ Related YouTube Video
- Famous Quotes of Jeff Bezos
- Social Media Stats of Jeff Bezos
- Success Lessons From Jeff Bezos
- Interesting Facts About Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos’ Introduction
Jeff Bezos is a man who needs no introduction. He is well-recognized globally as the founder and former CEO of the multinational e-commerce giant Amazon. Bezos’ near 10% share in Amazon makes him one of the wealthiest people in the world today. In fact, Bezos remained the richest person on the planet for most of the duration between 2018 and 2021.
Early Life of Jeff Bezos
Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen was born on January 12, 1964, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His parents divorced soon after his birth, leaving him and his mother in financial difficulty. His mother remarried Mike Bezos, from whom Jeff acquired his last name.
Bezos started his education at a local Montessori school which followed a rather unconventional, more hands-on approach to teaching. He then studied at the River Oaks Elementary School, followed by the Miami Palmetto High School.
After graduating high school as valedictorian, Bezos enrolled at the prestigious Princeton University. He studied computer science and electrical engineering, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in 1968.
Bezos’ genius was apparent since his childhood. He had an innate affinity for all things related to science and technology.
Jeff Bezos’ Career
Bezos’ professional career began with a series of relatively short-lived jobs. He started in the fintech industry in 1986. In 1998, he transitioned into the banking sector. In 1990, he shifted to working for a hedge fund. While he did well at his full-time job, he resigned in 1994 to create Amazon.
The thought of establishing Amazon came to Bezos’ mind in 1993 when he learned how fast the internet was growing. Amazon was founded on July 5, 1994. The company went public in 1997. Initially, it experienced a rough few years, with Bezos even having to take out a $2 billion loan in 2000.
However, things took a turn for the better in 2003 when Amazon produced a $400 million profit. By 2013, Amazon was the world’s largest online shopping retailer. In 2021, Bezos stepped down as the CEO of Amazon and became an executive chairman for the company.
Today, Amazon is a household name; and has a market capitalization of a whopping $1.108 trillion, making it the fifth-largest company in the world. That same year, Bezos purchased the Washinton Post for $250 million. Under Bezos’ ownership, the once struggling newspaper turned up a profit for the first time in years in 2016. It continues to flourish today.
Bezos has an extensive, multi-million dollar real estate portfolio. He has over $3 billion worth of stocks in Google as well. Bezos is also the founder of the spaceflight company Blue Origin. It aims to make commercial spaceflight a reality and expand human colonies onto other planets in the solar system. It’s often compared to Elon Musk’s SpaceX.
In 2015, Blue Origin’s spacecraft, New Shepard, took off and ascended to an altitude of 62.5 miles (100.5 km). It then successfully managed to land back on Earth vertically. In 2021, Bezos cofounded biotech company Altos Labs.
Highlights of Jeff Bezos’ Career
- Found Amazon in 1994.
- Became a billionaire by 1999.
- Became the world’s richest man for the first time in 2017.
- Became the first person to reach a $200 billion net worth in 2020.
Personal Life of Jeff Bezos
Bezos met his ex-wife MacKenzie Scott in 1992 and married her a year later. The couple has three sons and one daughter; they also adopted a girl from China.
In 2019, the pair announced their intentions to divorce. MacKenzie had worked diligently alongside Bezos in the founding and establishment of Amazon. So under their divorce settlement, Bezos had to relinquish 25% of their combined shares in Amazon to MacKenzie. These shares amounted to approximately $35 billion.
Experts speculate that had Bezos not lost that money, he would still be the wealthiest man in the world today. That same year, Bezos started dating media personality, Lauren Sanchez. The two have been in a relationship since.
Read More: Youngest Female Billionaires in the World
Jeff Bezos’ Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Jeff Bezos
When Bezos talks about business, it becomes evident why he’s one of the wealthiest people in the world. These quotes provide us a glimpse of his genius:
- “What we need to do is always lean into the future; when the world changes around you and when it changes against you – what used to be a tail wind is now a headwind – you have to lean into that and figure out what to do because complaining isn’t a strategy.”
- “There are two ways to extend a business. Take inventory of what you’re good at and extend out from your skills. Or determine what your customers need and work backward, even if it requires learning new skills. Kindle is an example of working backward.”
- “The best customer service is if the customer doesn’t need to call you, doesn’t need to talk to you. It just works.”
Social Media Stats of Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos is active on social media. Here are the links to his official accounts, along with his current number of followers:
Success Lessons From Jeff Bezos
Here’s a thing or two we can learn from the renowned self-made billionaire:
- Be dedicated. Bezos left his full-time job to start working on Amazon in a rented garage. Even though he acknowledged the high chances of his business failing, he stuck with it and made it work.
- Capitalize on opportunities. Bezos capitalized fully on the internet’s early exponential growth by establishing an online store.
- Expand. Amazon initially started off as an online bookstore, but Bezos always had plants to expand. Now, Amazon and its subsidiaries offer countless products and services.
- Be a leader. Bezos has set the standard for high-quality leadership with his accomplishments at Amazon. He has established effective management structures to ensure the company runs smoothly.
Interesting Facts About Jeff Bezos
Here are some fun facts about Jeff Bezos you might find interesting:
- Bezos made a cameo appearance in 2016’s “Star Trek Beyond.”
- In 2003, Bezos was involved in a helicopter crash. Fortunately, he sustained only minor injuries. In an interview in 2004, Bezos said about the incident: “Avoid Helicopters whenever possible. They’re not as reliable as fixed-winged aircraft.”
- Bezos owns the Y721 – the largest yacht in the world!
- Bezos initially wanted to name his company “Cadabra.” He settled for Amazon after his lawyer advised him against using the former name since it sounded too similar to “Cadaver.”
Featured: Kylie Jenner’s Personal Life and Quotes
How high is Jeff Bezos’ IQ?
While Bezos hasn’t disclosed his IQ or confirmed any rumors about it, experts estimate it to be around 150. An IQ of 150 would put Bezos at the 99.6th percentile.
Why did Jeff Bezos step down as the CEO of Amazon?
Bezos forfeited his role as CEO to better focus on other projects. He still retains a great degree of control and influence on Amazon from his current position as executive chairman.
How much money does Jeff Bezos make every second?
According to estimates from Business Insider, Jeff Bezos makes $2,537 per second. That’s more than what the average American makes in a week! ($1,037)
To many, Jeff Bezos seems like a cold, uncaring individual only interested in raising as much wealth as possible. And indeed, he has been described as “a brilliant but mysterious and coldblooded corporate titan.” However, what often goes unnoticed are the billions of dollars he has donated towards charitable causes and solving global issues such as animal endangerment and global warming.
Featured image credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com