What is Matt Stonie’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$7 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Competitive Eating, YouTube Ad Revenue, |
|Date of Birth||May 24, 1992|
|Height||5’8” / 173 cm|
|Place of Birth||San Jose, California, US|
- Matt Stonie’s Introduction
- Early Life of Matt Stonie
- Matt Stonie’s Career
- Highlights of Matt Stonie’s Career
- Personal Life of Matt Stonie
- Matt Stonie’s Related YouTube Video
- Famous Quotes of Matt Stonie
- Success Lessons From Matt Stonie
- Interesting Facts About Matt Stonie
Matt Stonie’s Introduction
Matt Stonie is a competitive eater-turned-YouTuber who initially partook in competitions for chump change. His competitive spirit soon got the best of him and he decided to give it his all. After devouring tens of thousands of calories and breaking countless records, Stonie now stands as the 5th best competitive eater in the world.
Early Life of Matt Stonie
Matthew Kai Stonie was born in San Jose, California, on May 24, 1992. His father, Dorian Stone, worked a white-collar job at a computer company, while his mother, Cathie Stonie, was a stay-at-home mom. He grew up in San Jose with his younger brother, Morgan.
Stonie lived a relatively normal childhood. He completed his higher studies at the Evergreen Valley High School and pursued a degree in nutrition from Mission College in the neighboring city of Santa Clara.
While the 17-year-old was on vacation at Hampton Beach with his family, he chanced upon a lobster roll eating contest. He beat the favorite by a slim margin and walked away with a much-needed $1,000 cash prize.
Related: Andrew Tate’s Controversial Career
Matt Stonie’s Career
After discovering his talent for eating, Matt began competing at small-scale events for prizes. In 2011, he debuted as a professional competitive eater in Major League Eating.
As he himself reports, the first few years of competitive eating were hard on his body. He would suffer from bloating, dehydration, and other adverse effects.
It was a while before his body adapted to accommodate the extreme amounts of food he ate in a single sitting. He realized early in his career that he would need to care for his health to sustain this profession. He started going to the gym and developed an elaborate, extensive calorie-burning cardio routine.
Stonie set his first world record in 2013 by eating a 5.5-pound birthday cake in a mere 9 minutes. He again made it big in 2015 by winning Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, eating 62 hot dogs in 10 minutes. His victory over the 8-time champion, Joey Chestnut, whom many considered unbeatable, led to him being recognized as one of the greats in the competition. For a short while after, he was considered the best competitive eater in the world.
Stonie’s official rank has since been fluctuating between 2nd and 5th. He currently occupies the 5th spot on the leaderboards. He created his YouTube channel in 2012, two years after he began his competitive journey. Matt started gaining traction in the following years and exploded in popularity in the mid-2010s. His channel now has over 15 million subscribers and a staggering 3.3 billion views.
Highlights of Matt Stonie’s Career
- Started competitive eating in 2011
- Created his YouTube channel in 2012
- Set his first world record in 2013
- Won Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest in 2015
Personal Life of Matt Stonie
Stonie is currently in a long-time relationship with his Chinese girlfriend, Mei. The two have been dating for over seven years. Mei is assumed to be the cameraman for his YouTube videos.
Stonie sometimes receives criticism because of his profession, with critics arguing that competitive eating should not be celebrated in today’s hunger-stricken world.
He frequently donates to charities and organizations to help fight against world hunger.
Featured: Liver King’s Meat Only Diet
Matt Stonie’s Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Matt Stonie
Contrary to popular belief, Stonie does not have a superfast metabolism. Here’s what he has to say about his competitive eating practice:
- “On a normal day, I eat 2,000 to 2,500 calories. But when I’m practicing for a competition, I can go up to 10,000 calories, no problem. Some days I go above 20,000.”
- “People think I’ve got this superhuman metabolism, and I eat, like, 8,000 calories every day. It’s not like that. I’m just like everybody else. I work hard to keep in shape.”
- “My first years of eating competitively were miserable. I was dehydrated, bloated, all that stuff.”
Success Lessons From Matt Stonie
Here are a few things we can learn from the most popular and celebrated competitive eater alive today:
- Take care of your health. Stonie is the perfect example of a person who cares for his health and well-being. Despite being in a profession where he has to down tens of thousands of calories per sitting, he manages to stay at the ideal weight for his height with rigorous training.
- Cardio works wonders. In the fitness world, we often hear about how ineffective exercise is in terms of burning calories. Stonie’s intense workout sessions are a testament to the efficacy of cardio when done right.
- Aim for the top. Stonie wouldn’t be where he is today if it were not for his competitive spirit. He wanted to go down as one of the greatest in the history of the sport.
- Use social media to your advantage. What separates Stonie from his peers is his clever use of social media. Competitive eating on its own doesn’t pay very well. Stonie’s multi-million dollar net worth is largely due to his YouTube channel.
Interesting Facts About Matt Stonie
Here are some interesting facts about Matt Stonie that you might not know:
- Matt Stonie is half-Japanese.
- Stonie has a more or less average build. He was last measured 134 pounds at 5 feet 8 inches.
- In 2021, Stonie devoured Heart Attack Grill’s infamous 20,000-calorie burger in a record 250 seconds.
- Stonie is a talented musician and plays the guitar.
How is Matt Stonie so rich?
The bulk of his income can be owed to ad revenue from his YouTube channel.
How is Matt Stonie so lean?
On the days following a challenge, Stonie does intense weightlifting and cardio sessions. He goes on runs that last hours to burn off the surplus calories in his system.
Where does Matt Stonie live?
Stonie currently lives in his residence in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Matt Stonie recently announced that he would like to move away from the world of competitive eating and begin a career in music instead. He’s been genuinely passionate about music ever since he was a child. Stonie also recently embarked on a business venture by partnering with TGI Friday’s to release his own restaurant, Stonie Bowls.
Read more: RiceGum’s Life and Career