What is R Kelly’s Net Worth?
|Net Worth||-$2 million|
|Source of Wealth||Rapping, Singing, Songwriting|
|Date of Birth||January 8, 1967|
|Height||6’1 / 185 cm|
|Place of Birth||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
- R Kelly’s Introduction
- Early life of R Kelly
- R Kelly’s Career
- Highlights of R Kelly’s Career
- R Kelly’s Personal Life
- R Kelly’s Related Youtube Video
- Famous Quotes and Sayings
- Social Media Stats of R Kelly
- Success Lessons from R Kelly
- Interesting Facts about R Kelly
R Kelly’s Introduction
R Kelly is a popular singer, rapper, songwriter, actor, and record producer from Chicago, Illinois. He debuted with his first album, “Born into the ’90s,” in January 1992 and established a career in the music industry. He is well-known for his contributions to the ‘R&B’ and ‘Hip-hop genres.
R Kelly has recently been the center of media attention after being sentenced to 30 years in prison for racketeering and sex trafficking. While he experienced widespread success at the prime of his career, he utilized most of his earnings in fighting and settling the numerous legal battles, leading to his currently negative net worth.
Early life of R Kelly
R Kelly was born in Chicago, Illinois. He had three siblings and was raised by his mother, Joanne, who was a school teacher. His father was absent during his childhood, and his identity is unknown.
Kelly’s childhood was tragic. When he was only 8, he witnessed the traumatic death of his first girlfriend, Lulu. An altercation with some older children led to Lulu falling into a fast-moving current, and eventually drowning. Kelly cited Lulu as his first inspiration in music.
Robert was sexually abused by a female relative during his childhood and by a male family friend at the age of 10. He enrolled at Kenwood Academy when he was 13, where his music teacher helped nurture his talent for singing.
Under her guidance, Kelly won first place in a talent competition and quit the basketball team to focus on music instead. He later dropped out of high school to dedicate himself to music entirely.
Read More: Most Beautiful Black Women in the World
R Kelly’s Career
Kelly first gained fame when he performed with the music group “MGM” and won a $100,000 grand prize on the talent TV show “Big Break.” However, the music group disbanded in 1990 – only a year after its inception.
He signed with Jive Records in 1991. His debut album, “Born into the ’90s,” was a big success. In the following years, Kelly released hit after hit, gaining rapid popularity and cementing himself as an icon in the world of hip-hop.
He eventually gained fame as ‘The King of R&B,’ and in 1996, he released “I believe I can fly.” This single won him three Grammy Awards in 1998.
Kelly continued to prosper until 2002 when a video of him engaging in sexual acts was leaked online. The video tarnished his reputation and marked the beginning of his numerous troubles with the law.
While Kelly continued to release music throughout the 2000s and 2010s, it failed in garnering the same level of success.
Highlights of R Kelly’s Career
Robert has seen a fair share of musical success during his lifetime. Here is a list of some of the most significant ones:
- 1992 – Debut album “Born into the ’90s.”
- 1994 – Billboard Awards (Number #1 R&B producer)
- 1998 – Grammy Awards (Best R&B song “I believe I can fly”)
- 2003 – BET Awards (Best Male R&B artist)
R Kelly’s Personal Life
R Kelly has been under investigation for sexual abuse and misconduct from as early as the 1990s. There have been several allegations against him in the past decade, including sexual abuse, sex with a minor, molestation, and sexual misconduct.
He has reportedly paid tens of millions of dollars to the accusing parties in the settlement of these cases. This has led him to bankruptcy, which he admitted to in a 19-minute video released in 2018.
In July 2022, Kelly was sentenced to 30 years in prison for sex trafficking and racketeering.
Related: DMX Worth and Famous Quotes
R Kelly’s Related Youtube Video
Famous Quotes and Sayings
Here are some of R Kelly’s most iconic quotes and sayings:
- “If you’re gonna tell your life story, you gotta be honest, or don’t do it.”
- “Well, I believe that the depth of your struggle can determine the height of your success. I was inspired to come out of everything I’ve been through and end up in a place where I never thought that I would be.”
- “Music is very powerful and can make you feel whatever it is. If you listen to gospel, you’re going to feel thankful, and you’re going to want to call up people that you hate and tell them that you love them. When you listen to sexual music, it gets you in the mood.”
Social Media Stats of R Kelly
R Kelly does not have any social media currently. He used to be active on multiple social media platforms, but as allegations against him swept over the internet and it started to become clear that he was most likely guilty, most of his accounts were taken down.
Success Lessons from R Kelly
Despite his wrongdoings as a person, there is no doubt that Kelly did make it big as a rap artist. Here are some success lessons we can learn from him:
- Despite being abused during early childhood, R Kelly was able to move past and establish a successful musical career for himself.
- Robert frequently wrote about his real-life experiences and how he felt about them, so his fans have something to relate to him.
- Kelly has been an innovator within the Hip-hop and R&B industry and provided people with unique tracks during his career.
- After his first year, Robert dropped out of high school and fully dedicated himself to music. This helped him establish a successful career at a relatively young age.
Interesting Facts about R Kelly
Below are some fun facts about R Kelly you might not have known before:
- R Kelly has collaborated with many high-profile figures in the music industry, including Lady Gaga, Usher, Chance the Rapper, and many more.
- Despite being a mainstream musician, Robert is currently broke and claims to have gone on tour just to afford rent.
- Apart from trouble with sexual misconduct, Kelly has also had financial troubles with tax payments. He informed a judge that he owed close to $1.9 million to the IRS in April 2020.
- His first wife, Aaliyah, was only 15 years old when he married her by arranging fake identification documents to have her identified as a legal adult.
Featured: Chris Brown Personal Life and Career
Has R Kelly been found guilty?
R Kelly was found guilty of racketeering, exploitation of a child, and sex trafficking in September 2021.
When is R Kelly’s Chicago trial?
R Kelly’s Chicago trial on charges of sex crimes will begin in August 2022.
Where is R Kelly right now?
R Kelly is incarcerated at the MDC Brooklyn in New York as of June 2022.
What punishment could R Kelly face?
R Kelly is expected to receive anywhere from 10 years to life in prison.
R Kelly’s life has been subject to a lot of ups and downs. After debuting in 1992, he became massively popular among Hip-hop and R&B enthusiasts and won three Grammy Awards in 1998.
His downfall was caused by allegations of sexual abuse against minors and financial woes that made him completely broke. He is currently in prison and awaits another trial in August 2022.
Featured image credit: Jamie Lamor Thompson / Shutterstock.com