What is Tom Hanks’ net worth?
|Net Worth||$400 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Acting, Film making|
|Date of Birth||July 9, 1956|
|Place of Birth||Concord, California, United States|
|Religion||Catholicism and Mormonism|
|Partner||Samantha Lewes (div. 1988)|
Rita Wilson (m. 1988 – present)
- Tom Hanks’ Introduction
- Early Life of Tom Hanks
- Tom Hanks’ Career
- Highlights of Tom Hanks’ Career
- Personal Life of Tom Hanks
- Tom Hanks’ Related YouTube Video
- Famous Quotes of Tom Hanks
- Success Lessons From Tom Hanks
- Interesting Facts About Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks’ Introduction
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks is an American actor who’s hero persona has allowed him to work in some of the greatest blockbuster hits. His career took off in the 1990s when he starred as a lead character in several dramas. Hanks’s amicable personality and relatable humor have garnered him a large fan base. He is well known for his stellar performances in comedy and drama films such as “Big” and “Forrest Gump”.
Early Life of Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks was born in Concord, California, on July 9, 1956, to Amos Bud Hanks and Janet Marylyn. His father was British and worked as a cook, while his mother was Portuguese and a hospital worker. His folks got separated in 1960 and Hanks began living with his father. He studied drama at Chabot college and later went to California state university.
During college, he enrolled in an internship at the Great Lakes Theater Festival for three years. This learning experience proved to be quite valuable for him as it covered all the prominent features of theater, such as scenery, lighting, and set design – encouraging him to drop out of college.
Related: Julia Fox Personal Life and Worth
Tom Hanks’ Career
In the late 70s, Hanks moved to New York and made his film debut with a small part in the horror film “He Knows You’re Alone.” Later, he landed a lead role in the film “Movies and Monsters.” He rose to prominence upon demonstrating his comic abilities in the television sitcom “Bosom Buddies.”
After an incredible debut in the 1984 sensation “Splash,” allowed him to star in popular comedies, such as “Bachelor Party”, “Volunteers”, and “The Money Pit.” His exceptional portrayal of a teenager in an adult body in the fantasy comedy “Big (1988)” cemented his position as a leading actor in the comedy genre.
In 1994, Hanks was cast in the highly anticipated film “Forrest Gump,” which also earned him an Academy Award. He received more Oscar nominations for his outstanding acting in “Saving Private Ryan ” and “Cast Away.”
Hanks also worked with Leonardo DiCaprio in “Catch Me If You Can,” which was directed by Steven Spielberg. He was also cast as Robert Langdon in the adaptation of Dan Brown’s international best-seller, “Da Vinci Code.” His commendable acting in Charlie Wilson’s “War” earned him a Golden Globe Nomination.
In 2011, he played a dramatic role in the film “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.” It received considerable critical acclaim and grossed $200 million in a single week.
Hanks’ performance in “Captain Phillips” and “Saving Mr. Banks” earned him nominations for BAFTA Awards and Golden Globe Awards.
In 2016, he appeared in “A Hologram for the King.” He re-teamed with Spielberg in 2017 for “The Post” and co-starred alongside Emma Watson in “The Circle” in that same year. In 2020, Hanks bagged major roles in two movies – “Greyhound” and “News of the World.” A year later, he starred in a post-apocalyptic drama “Finch.”
Highlights of Tom Hanks’ Career
Some of the main highlights of Hanks’s career include:
- Two Oscars Wins out of six nominations for Best Actor
- 12 Primetime Emmy Award nominations and 7 wins
- Tony Award nomination for best actor in a play
- AFI Life Achievement Award in 2002
- Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama
- Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award
Personal Life of Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks married Samantha Lewes in 1978 but they later got divorced. He had two children from his first wife; Colin and Elizabeth. A year later, Hanks married Rita Wilson whom he met on the set of “Bosom Buddies.”
In 2018, the two celebrated their 30th anniversary. The couple gave birth to two sons; Chet and Truman Hanks. Chet is a rapper and has starred in several TV shows and movies. Truman became a producer and has worked on many notable releases, such as “Black Widow” and “Charlie’s Angels.”
Hanks owns multiple properties throughout the Pacific Palisades neighborhood of Los Angeles. He currently lives in a 14,513-square-foot mansion with his family. In 2004, he purchased a stone villa on Antiparos Island as a vacation spot for his family.
Hanks and Rita Wilson played a major role in providing aid to the affectees of a wildfire that broke out in the village of Mati, Greece. The President of Greece awarded them with honorary Greek citizenship for their exceptional services to the country and its citizens.
Featured: Top 50 Richest Actors In The World
Tom Hanks’ Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Tom Hanks
Here are some inspirational quotes reflecting Hanks’s enduring hard work:
- “As a young man, even if I was going to see a play or a film by myself, I didn’t feel like I was alone. There was something that was unfolding up there that brought me into it. And I recognized that. For those two hours, it made me feel like I belonged to something really good.”
- “Some people are cowards… I think by and large a third of people are villains, a third are cowards, and a third are heroes. Now, a villain and a coward can choose to be a hero, but they’ve got to make that choice.”
- There’s no greater joy than that seen through the eyes of a child, and there’s a little bit of a child in all of us.”
Success Lessons From Tom Hanks
There are many lessons to be learned from Tom Hanks illustrious career. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Learn to be persistent. Strive for whatever it is that you hope to achieve by utilizing every opportunity and by staying consistent. Tom continued to improve his acting skills during his early years and started receiving roles in some big movies.
- Find Love. Everyone deserves a life partner who cares for them and makes them feel so loved. After a failed first marriage, Tom married Rita Wilson, who has supported and motivated the legendary actor throughout his career.
- Give back to the people. Your success and wealth should always benefit the needy and helpless in some way. Tom and Rita have donated and contributed to charities all over the globe, including to the victims of a wildfire in Greece.
Interesting Facts About Tom Hanks
Here are some fun facts about the decorated actor:
- Tom Hanks is related to President Abraham Lincoln, former US President, and Fred Rogers, renowned television host.
- Tom has a collection of over 250 typewriters.
- NASA named an asteroid after the talented actor.
- Tom Hanks Day is observed annually on April 1 to celebrate the star’s phenomenal work.
How much weight did Tom Hanks lose making Cast Away?
Tom gained 30 pounds to play the role of a baseball coach in “A League Of Their Own” and had to lose 50 pounds in total to star as a stranded man in the film “Cast Away.”
Did Tom Hanks learn Bulgarian for “The Terminal?”
Hanks sought help from his father-in-law Allan Wilson, who can speak multiple languages including his native Bulgarian. A Bulgarian translator also helped in the character development of Viktor Navorski in the comedy-drama film “The Terminal.”
Which movies did Tom Hanks win Oscars for?
He was nominated for six career Oscars and he won consecutive Academy Awards for “Philadelphia (1993)” and “Forrest Gump (1994)”.
Tom Hanks’ career has seen great success since his teenage years. He remains a fan favorite for audiences of all ages and will likely go down as one of the most influential actors in cinema history. His success has allowed him to gather an immense fortune of $400 million, which is a testament to his long-lasting popularity.
Read Next: Leonardo DiCaprio Dating History and Worth
Featured image credit: Matteo Chinellato / Shutterstock.com